Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How Do You Know God's Will?

Have certain truths ever slapped you in the face? Or maybe just startled you because you had missed how obvious they were in the first place. When going through Henry Blackaby's work Experiencing God for the first time I was awakened to the stark reality I did not need to ask God to show me His will for some big project, I needed to simply look for where God was active and get on board with what He was doing.

This summer amidst doing Radical as an entire church, our Friday Ladies Bible Study was doing the updated version of Experiencing God. Some of us had done it before but we wanted to reexamine the basic truths as presented in the new version. Here the "Seven Realities" Blackaby gives and my thoughts are in red:
  1. God is always at work around you. This nice isn't it!
  2. God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal. Praise the Lord I am so glad!
  3. God invites you to become involved with Him in His work. This could be fun or maybe make me sweat, or depend on Him more.
  4. God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways. Of course.
  5. God's invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action. Whoa. This sounds frightening. This term "crisis" makes me nervous. And the words "faith and action" are serious.
  6. You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing. Now this is where it really can get pretty challenging. The first time I did this study I left one job and began to work in a more faith demanding job. What is He up to now? 
  7. You come to know God by experience as you obey Him and He accomplishes His will through you. We are now moving from sweet ideas about the will of God to the rigors of doing it. But how amazing that the God of the universe would accomplish His will through me! Humbling. Overwhelming.
And then there was the phone call with Donna.

1 comment: