Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thanks Hudson Taylor!

I recall people speaking of Hudson Taylor. I knew he was the founder of China Inland Mission. I was aware of his challenge to traditional style of missions by dressing as Chinese did in the later 1800's; dying his hair black; wearing the typical long braid. Amazed I discovered that,
At his, (speakng of Hudson Taylor), death in 1905 at Changsha (the capital of the last province opened to the Gospel), there were 205 stations with 849 missionaries, and 125,000 Chinese Christians in the China Inland Mission (1989, Hudson Taylors's Spiritual Secret, p.x)
Reading Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret, introduced me to a man who embraced his calling to win the Chinese to Christ with such fervor. The intensity of his life's service challenged me to consider my own behavior. Was I lazy in trying to lead a "life of balance"? His driving compassion woke me up to question the depth of my love for others. His faith expressed through transparent prayer seemed to grow with struggles I would want to escape.

And then Hudson discovered the secret of life released to the working of God's Holy Spirit, living IN Hudson. As Colossians 1:27 closes, "Christ in you, the hope of glory." Instead of depending on his personal capabilities, he identified his needs to a Heavenly Father Whose Spirit would gladly supply. He called out for comfort amidst the deaths of family members. He depended on the Almighty for immense measures of wisdom. Whatever the demand  he was confident the Holy Spirit would supply. The results? He gave up worrying. Taylor enjoyed "a restful sense of sufficiency in Another." (p.157)

Thank you Hudson Taylor for reminding me:
  1. God's Holy Spirit is the source of all I need.
  2. God's resources are unlimited and will be available through the craziest means. (George Mueller, the one who fed 2,000 orphans a day through prayer, gave the China Inland Mission over $10,000 in his lifetime.)
  3. I need to pray about everything.
  4. God will show me who to love and provide wise compassion, instead of foolish codependency.
  5. There in an appropriate time for rest and creativity. If you don't take care of yourself, few others will.
  6. It added to Radical the reminder that people need to be exposed to Jesus. A return to Kenya was becoming real.

I hope you will pick up this tiny volume. Be prepared to turn the pages at break neck speed. Clear your calendar since you won't want to put the book down. Grab journaling tools.

1 comment: