Sunday, January 9, 2011

Subtle Stirrings

In reading the book, Radical, by David Platt, I was quite familiar with the basic content. But what interrupted my "ho hum" attitude was the stark contrasts between the typical American local church and the world beyond America. Platt writes with his heart. Before long I was engaged heart to heart.

As a congregation we dealt with the Biblical themes underlying each of Platt's chapters through the avenues of small groups, worship, preaching, and some prayer. I saw the Holy Spirit wake people up to His purposes for their lives. People began questioning the invisible boundaries in which they lived. What was comfortable and somewhat thought provoking, began to stir folks into making decisions to seek the Lord for His leadership of how they were to live out what was being put before them. The word "surrender" was challenging people to risk new action.

I was thrilled with how the Holy Spirit was working in others' lives. Conversations were expressing questions, struggles, and "ah hah" moments. Because of the familiarity and conviction about the basic content of Radical, God had to weave in some other books so I would move beyond the subtle stirring. My heart was engaged but it needed to shift to a better  gear.

Little did I know what Hudson Taylor's life had to say to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hudson Taylor, what an amazing life story!! My mom has a biography of him from 1973, I started reading it and I couldn't put it down! It truly humbled me and convicted me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you so much for sharing your excitement. I found myself in similar places. More to share in the next blog about responses to Taylor's story.

    ReplyDelete