Sunday, August 28, 2011

Finishing Strong




Friday morning opened with a challenge: tons of kids. We counted 251, which included 80 in the preschool 20 foot by 20 foot tent. The very cozy quarters both in the tent and in the chapel made it tough for kids to keep their level of concentration high. Frankly it was hard for me to stay focused as well. I even forgot to open the morning with a couple of rounds of “Simon Says” to emphasize our topic of the morning – obedience.

My main concern was that the children understand:

1.      We obey the Lord because we love Him. John 14:21 “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." 

2.      The Holy Spirit will help us obey with reminders, John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” and conviction, John 16:7-9 “When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:”

3.      We can resist Satan and temptation. 1 Cor 10:13 “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

A huge clap of thunder happened at just the right time in the morning’s presentation to dramatize God speaking to us! And then the downpour cut loose. All that cut short the organized games but not the fun. Lunch was still served as an important portion of the day. Due to more impending rain we sent kids home rather than let them stay around and play after VBS.

Not knowing the exact fruit of our labors it was kind of Christine to inform us that parents of participants have called or greeted Christine in public with deliberate words of thanks for the VBS week.



No comments:

Post a Comment